The dynamic seminar was one of Carl’s final professional presentations, given just weeks before his retirement from a career spanning 31 years. Carl worked at The Capital Group, also known as American Funds, and MarsJewett benefited by his strategic partnership. Carl provided several engaging presentations to clients over the decades.
The seminar was offered both in-person and virtually, sort of recognizing the future we already live in. Those in attendance gained insight into the technological transformations that await in just the next few years. Industry is ripe for innovation. Several insights span the spectrum from audacious to obvious, impacting our daily experiences in interesting, undeniable, or practical ways. Gazing into the future, we see technology and progress working in tandem, giving hope for solutions and developments that bring positive change in ways that many of us can only begin to contemplate.
Looking back to the future
Here’s a few of The Capital Group’s outlook for the decade ahead:
- Innovation in health care will accelerate. Wearable devices like smart watches and rings will monitor vital signs and could lead to earlier interventions of treatable illnesses.
- Digital payments will further normalize. Already consumers in developing countries and emerging markets have fully adopted mobile phones, with adoption of such payment technologies accelerated by social changes during the pandemic.
- Advancements in connected devices drastically increases the demand for more semiconductors – in tablets, phones, cars, lightbulbs, thermostats, refrigerators, coffee makers, slow cookers, etc.
- Digital entertainment is only beginning as streaming services have transformed the way we watch movies and enjoy entertainment at home and on the go. Stay tuned for the next episode!
- Enjoy the ride in an autonomous vehicle. People were skeptical of the first automobiles. Imagine a buggy that isn’t pulled by a horse, or a bike with no peddling, or a car without a driver!
- Renewable energy from solar, wind, bioenergy and other technologies will gain affordability and make power possible in ways yet imagined.
- Innovation drives the future. As companies develop, they move from younger growth to durable sustainability to mature contributors in our daily lives.
The future is not here yet. Imagination, ingenuity, and creativity are catalysts for tomorrow. As investors, we believe humans are innate creators, building the next thing even better. Long-term investing is about a future yet unseen. Musing about 2030 provides prescient reason to remain invested.