While the federal and local elections have been a primary focus for many of us lately, we thought this would be a good time to remember and review the core purpose and value of the work we provide: Financial Planning. There are many things we cannot control as it relates to managing finances, including elected officials, however there will always be things we can control, and we make those our primary focus. When you engage us for financial planning services, the following steps are those we follow in a collaborative process with you, with the goal of helping you achieve your goals. These have been defined by the CFP (Certified Financial Planner) Board of Standards and they are:
- Understand the client’s personal and financial circumstances.
- Identify and select goals.
- Analyze the current course of action and potential alternative courses of action.
- Develop the financial planning recommendations.
- Present the financial planning recommendations.
- Implement the financial planning recommendations.
- Monitor progress and update the financial plan.
As goals are made clear, appropriate tools and investment vehicles can be employed to reach those goals. This is not a one time exercise, but a cycle we move through repeatedly as life circumstances change.